This is a recipe for an all-purpose cough and cold medicine created by Gregor Novak and based on several old Slovenian recipes. The propolis provides most of the true medicinal benefit, but the honey also reduces the pH in your throat, providing the same relief of a sore throat as lozenges.
16 ounces of honey
16 ounces of tea
- 5 tea bags
- Strong tea, such as green (caffeine reduces headache)
½ teaspoon or propolis dissolved in 1 shot of grain alcohol (could also use scotch or bourbon)
16 ounces of sugar
4 lemons (greenish if possible) with thin skin
20 mint leaves
1) Take the rinds off the lemons and get the juice.
2) Add sugar.
3) Pour on honey.
4) Combine all ingredients.
5) Bring to a boil on high heat.
6) Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
7) Turn off heat.
8) Add propolis and alcohol – burn off or leave.
9) Let cool.